Church of Christ the King is celebrating its Centennial year. Join us for events and activities planned throughout the year by checking our “News and Events – 100th Anniversary” page. We look forward to celebrating another 100 years serving the downtown core of Sudbury, Ontario.
The history of Sudbury’s largest and oldest English Roman Catholic Church.
- 1917: Bishop Scollard divided the congregation at Ste. Anne’s to benefit the growing number of English-speaking parishioners in Sudbury. The parish was declared under the title of St. Joseph’s Church. Masses were held in the Jubilee Hall next to Ste. Anne’s while the construction of the present building was beginning. Construction was delayed numerous times due to the First World War.
- 1928: The cornerstone of the Church was laid on June 17. While the super-structure was being erected, disaster struck. The right wall blew out during a high windstorm that hit Sudbury.
- 1929: On September 29, St. Joseph’s Church was officially dedicated and blessed by Bishop Scollard.
- 1935: Bishop R.H. Dignan officially changes the name of the parish from St. Joseph’s to the Church of Christ the King.
- 1939: On July 7, the first Diocesan Eucharistic Congress was held at the Church of Christ the King.
- 1947: An event of near-tragic proportions occurred on October 30th. The church was completely gutted by fire and financial loss was in excess of $200,000. In spite of the heartbreak to priests and parishioners alike, Father Humphrey wasted no time in beginning preparations to restore the church. Mass was held at the Capitol Theatre until July of the following year.
- 1952: The world-touring statue of Our Lady of Fatima arrived in Sudbury for ceremonies at the Sudbury Arena that attracted over 10,000 people. The statue returned to Sudbury in 1955 and visited the Church of Christ the King.
- 1961: Msgr. Humphrey passes away while still the pastor of the Christ the King. His death saddened the parish and community alike. Msgr. Francis Devine, of North Bay, was named to replace Msgr. Humphrey.
- 1963: Within two years, Christ the King Church suffered the second tragic loss of a beloved pastor. The very sudden death of a young Msgr. Devine shocked the entire community.
- 1968: The Church of Christ the King sent a group of young people to Gualan in Zacapa, about 100 miles from Guatemala City. This was part of a group called “Project Amigo” – a group of young people who were called to mission to the less fortunate. The group missioned in Gualan for two and a half weeks.
- 1970: A renovation of the Church took place to emphasize the declarations of Vatican II. The new look marked another chapter in the long history of the parish.